One of the new tools that I used with my students is Pear Deck: Flashcard Factory.
Our school goal this year is to increase our overall vocabulary scores. We use Worldly Wise for our word lists, but this workbook format is rather dull for students. I'm always looking for games and ideas to make learning these words fun as well as help my students to retain them. Pear Deck has a great tool called the Flashcard Factory that lets use use any list of words. I simply had to type the words in and it creates a game where the students work in teams to illustrate, describe, and collaborate on the meanings of words. Take a look at my link to see my students' work. There are so many great things about this activity. First of all it gets my students engaged. There wasn't a single student who was not actively involved during this activity. There were busy drawing on their iPads and talking with their partners. I already mentioned how easy it was for me the teacher. The other thing that I loved is that this activity was quick. It really didn't take longer than 10 minutes for the students to make the cards and for us to discuss them at the end. Plus, it walks you right through the steps. Finally, I loved how this activity was anonymous but also required everyone's participation in order to be successful. Students knew they were accountable to the class's success. So it worked as a team builder as well as a vocabulary builder! Here are a few examples below. I really am looking forward to using this again with my students.


No comments:
Post a Comment