Sunday, October 13, 2019

21st Century Educational Leadership Reflection

This has been my most loved class so far.  I love planning things from lesson plans to vacations - I'm your girl!  So being able to plan professional development is right up my alley.  However, the challenge of it is real.  My biggest fear in being a teacher leader is not having all the answers.  When I left education to be a stay at home mom, I really felt I was at the top of my game.  After returning to the classroom, it was quite a struggle to not only keep up but to catch up.  So much had changed.  I immediately felt as if I was behind the eight ball.  After being back for eight years now, I finally feel like I can be in the position again of a teacher leader.  Partly because I went back to school and feel more confident in technology use.

Now the challenge becomes implementing all that I have learned and helping other teachers to step on board.  I love the #observeme movement.  This is one of the first ways that I think I can help be a teacher leader.  By showing my professional colleagues that I'm open to others seeing what I'm doing in my classroom on a regular basis, I feel that I would be taking that first step towards growth for myself and others.  If I open up my room, maybe others will too.  Learning from each other is one of the most satisfying, powerful, and easiest things to do.  Teaching can be isolating, but it doesn't have to be.  I want to help us be more reflective of our teaching and I really just want some great ideas!

Also, running or even sharing at a staff meeting is another way to be a teacher leader.  The resources on emails and hosting staff meetings were very informative.  It is nice to see that principals feel that they too have staff meetings that bomb and others that are great.  There is so much to learn from them.  Often after attending a conference, we are asked to share out with colleagues.  I can now be more effective on how I do this.  Taking into account that there will be teachers and support staff at all different levels and stages.  Providing choice, making it fun, giving the chance to move or be creative.  These ideas that we try to implement in the classroom also appeal to adult learners.  Most importantly, adults don't want their time wasted.  They want to know how this "new thing" will benefit them and be allowed time to practice in a safe and non-threatening way.  This upcoming October, I'll be sharing what I learned in Defined STEM training at a faculty meeting and I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment