Post # 8 - Reflection
So this week is all about reflecting. When we began this class and I was told we would be participating in "adult genius hour" I was skeptical. I have tried Genius Hour in my class before and I didn't feel like it was very successful. Now it is clear to my why. By actually participating in it myself, I could see that I did so many things wrong. So to my students - I apologize. First, I didn't guide them at all in choosing their topic which is so key. I didn't have a clear structure or even an end goal, and I also didn't have a way for them to share or really get help along the way. In my defense however, this was before we had all the tech capabilities that we have in the classroom today. Now, that I've actually done it myself, struggled through the process, and learned so much about myself and my topic, I am so much better equipped to guide my students through this amazing process. Here are my top five take-aways:
- Guide students in choosing their topic/passion. Students shouldn't be expected to make this decision in 5 minutes. Students need time to investigate, try out, reject, and settle into a passion. Also, students may need help in focusing their topic or stretching themselves.
- Let students know up front what the expectations are, but don't make them limiting. Give students a timeline of check-in's, blogging/journaling, and final deadline, but don't tell them how to present their learning or other limiting requirements. Give students a chance to spread their wings. There really isn't a topic that can't be pursued that won't lead to learning.
- Have a consistent way for students to follow, support, and be held accountable. The blogging requirement did two things for me. First, it made me do the work and keep to schedule. Otherwise, I may have tried to do it at the final hour which would have not been an authentic experience at all. Second, I truly enjoyed seeing what others were doing and getting their encouragement. Students too, will have a dip, and others' encouragement can easily be the cure for wanting to keep going.
- Split the time 50/50 between home and school. When I attempted Genius Hour, I only had kids working on it at school. To really be able to dig in, students may need to have access to materials and space not available at school. For example, playing an instrument, building a bookshelf, learning how to play a sport, etc.
- Require students to teach the class. As I learned in this class, the final presentation shouldn't be about presenting as much as about teaching. Students should be ready to tell what they learned and teach the class a little. This will prevent "report" like presentations that lack passion which happens when students believe they need to turn in a typical school report or project.

No comments:
Post a Comment