Monday, January 20, 2020

Genius Hour - Week 1

Post #1b - The Truth Behind the Decision

After spending some time with each, it became clear to me what the right choice was for this particular time in my life.

Although I would love to work together on this passion project with my daughter and learn to play the ukulele, my gut is telling me that this would be better to do over the summer when both of our schedules calm down a little.  Between her busy teen life and my busy teacher life, finding mutual time for both of us would be challenging.  I often work on my stuff when she's gone at an activity or sleeping in on the weekends - as teenagers do, til noon!  (I'm really just jealous!). The other fear is  playing the ukulele live or well enough for any song to be recognized by my peers.  Don't laugh!   The thought sends me running.  So this is a passion I've decided to table for now.

It was a tough choice between the other two: architect and travel blogger.  I began looking at other travel blogs and reading up on what makes them well visited and what I came across was that they were always updating their blog.  This would definitely create a challenge for me.  Simply because I travel once or twice a year.  I could go back to do our road trips to date, but would I remember all the details of our journey?  I also came to realize that my blog would be focused on a special niche of people - road trips with children.  And although I think there are people out there who would certainly benefit, I'm not certain that I'd get the following that I would need to make it worth it.  There are so many bloggers already with much more time and experience under their belts.  Plus I'm kind of a private person, and I don't know how I feel about posting photos of my kids online.  I decided that taking my photos and organizing them into photo books would help to satisfy this urge as well as create lasting memories for my girls. So I'm putting this on my list of projects to work on...over the summer.

So the decision is architect or interior designer.  I started by looking into the software that I could learn to help me complete this project and there are a lot of different choices out there that are actually free.  I'm feeling a little intimidated in my ability to learn to use them, but I'm going into this genius hour confident that I can do it.  The exciting part is that after I finishing designing our basement space, it might actually become a reality.  Then maybe I'll have a place to learn the ukulele and work on my photo books.  I see it as a win-win and I'm excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment