Saturday, February 1, 2020

Genius Hour - Week 4

Post #4 - Making a Plan

I've decided that Saturday and Sunday are the best days for me to devote to Genius Hour.  The weekdays get busy helping my kids with homework and running them to their activities, but the morning hours of the weekend, when they're sleeping in, allow me to be the most productive. So my plan is to devote Saturday morning to Genius Hour and Sunday afternoon to the rest of my class work.

This week was an interesting one. My husband and I met with a contractor to discuss our project.  I learned there are a lot of choices and decisions to make just to get an estimate.  Things I didn't considered were the size of the base, how to finish the stairs, and how we'll need access to certain utilities.  We did learn that our one clean-out drain could be moved so that it is not in the middle of the family room - so that's good news!

I have also been attempting to make some plans and have been fairly disappointed with the software.  The online version is okay but very limited.  My biggest problem has been the stairs.  I can't adjust the them to match our staircase or design a half-angled wall to meet the treads.  I might investigate different design software this week and see if there is anything better out there.

These are my designs so far and as you can see the labels and dimensions aren't readable.  I had to handwrite size information on the printout.  That is just one of the many disappointments of this 5D planner software.






4 comments:

  1. WHAT?!?! You are like a general contractor. I feel so lame in comparison. I'm literally doing a workbook! Robin, you never cease to amaze me and if anyone can tackle this project it's you!! Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great idea of this 5D planner! I cannot wait in 10 plus years to use it when we finish our basement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tremendous undertaking! Looks like you have a great plan on how to use the space. It helps to have family involved to keep you interested and motivated, but a project like this can be so exciting to see come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have your family involved in this project! How exciting for everyone!

    ReplyDelete